As jy kom ophou om die volgende te doen, sal dit die begin wees van ‘n gelukkiger lewe:
1. Stop spending time with the wrong people. Stop spending time with people who leave you feeling drained. Your time is precious so prioritise spending it with those that are worth it.
2. Stop putting your own needs on the back burner. Make the decision to put yourself first. Focus on what matters to you. Remember to refuse to lose yourself in the process of loving somebody else – whether it’s a friend or partner.
3. Stop being scared to make a mistake. Messing up is still more productive than doing nothing, because you’re too scared to make a mistake. The great thing about failure is that it holds invaluable lessons that will help you on your way to success. You’ll only regret the things you didn’t do.
4. Stop exclusively looking to others for happiness. You can’t be happy with others or in a committed relationship if you’re not happy with yourself. Build a healthy, happy relationship with yourself first so that sharing it with others will be more fulfilling.
5. Stop getting involved in relationships for the wrong reasons. Relationships should be entered into wisely. It’s better to be alone than to be unhappy with somebody else. Fall in love when you’re ready, not when you’re lonely.
6. Stop complaining and feeling sorry for yourself. Life’s curveballs are there to help you grow and help you question if you’re on the right path. It may always seem unbearable at the time but if you look back at past trials you’ll be able to see how you were led to a better place (at home, at work and personally). So next time you’re facing a curveball remember this and smile!
7. Stop holding grudges. As Nelson Mandela aptly put it, ‘Resentment is like drinking poison and then hoping it will kill your enemies’. Forgiveness offers you an opportunity to let go so that the hate you’re holding onto won’t rob you any further of happiness.
8. Stop overlooking the beauty of small moments. The little things will become the big things when you look back one day. The most precious memories will be the small moments (that aren’t tweeted, or put up on Facebook and Instagram) you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
9. Stop acting like everything is fine if it isn’t. If you fall apart every now and then that’s okay. Shedding a few tears can be healthy and will help you acknowledge what issues are really at play. You’ll get back to your cheerful self sooner too.
10. Stop being ungrateful. During the good or bad times you have to wake up each day thankful for your life and all the wonderful things that make it special. Focus on what you have instead of fretting about all the things you’re without – you’re bound to feel blessed.